I was served with a citation and I’m not sure what I am supposed to do?

Please remember the District Clerk does not employ any attorneys in the office, and the clerks are prohibited by law from providing legal advice. You should read the citation and follow the instructions. In most cases, your answer is to be filed in the District Clerk’s Office no later than 10 am on the first Monday, 20 days after you are served. If that Monday is a holiday, your answer would be due on the next business day by 10 am

You may contact an attorney or research on how to file an answer in the law library located on the 2nd floor of the Courts Building. Or, research how to file an answer on the internet. District Clerk employees are not allowed to recommend attorneys.

Show All Answers

1. How may I obtain a copy of a divorce decree or other documents from a case file?
2. When will the Judge hear my case?
3. What are the filing fees?
4. When may I file documents for a case?
5. Where is the District Clerks office located?
6. I’m not sure if my case was filed in Denton, is there a way for me to check?
7. I was served with a citation and I’m not sure what I am supposed to do?
8. How do I update my address and/or phone number with your office?
9. I need a copy of my child support payments, where may I obtain the copy?
10. Where do I find the paperwork to file for divorce / child custody?
11. How do I schedule or re-schedule a hearing for my case?
12. What do you do with a document after I hand it to you?
13. I am the attorney of record on a case. Is there a way to be notified when a document has been filed or a hearing has been set in a case?
14. Why do you only provide blue ink pens?
15. Do I need to bring copies of documents?
16. Should I staple the original documents together?
17. Where do I find the forms?
18. May I make a payment without coming in to your office?