Can the Juvenile Court Judge put me under any court orders?

Under Section 54.041 of the Texas Family Code (FC), the Court can, upon a finding of delinquency or a finding of a child in need of supervision, enter orders that affect adults, including ordering them to do any act reasonable and necessary for the welfare of the child or to refrain from doing any act that is injurious to the welfare of the child. These orders can require an adult to make financial restitution for damages or injuries resulting from the child’s actions and an adult could be ordered to attend a class such as a G.E.D, E.S.L. or parenting skills course. Further, an adult can be ordered to pay the following fees: 

  • FC Section 54061: Probation fees
  • FC Section 54.0411: $20 as cost of court
  • FC Section 54046: A graffiti eradication fee
  • FC Section 5406: A reasonable amount of child support if the child is placed outside the family home
  • FC Section 5110: The expenses of an attorney, even reimbursement for the cost of a court appointed attorney

These orders are enforceable by Civil Contempt proceedings, which could result in confinement in jail for a period not to exceed six months and/or a fine up to $500.

Show All Answers

1. Why can’t I look up my child’s case on-line or see a copy of the court’s docket?
2. Why won’t court staff discuss my child’s case over the phone?
3. Do I have to attend my child’s court date?
4. Must my child be represented by an attorney?
5. Is there a dress code and behavior and safety code in your court?
6. What if I cannot afford an attorney?
7. Can I just talk to the judge?
8. Can the Juvenile Court Judge put me under any court orders?
9. Why does my child’s attorney refuse to speak with me about my child’s case?