What kind of civil cases can I file?

The Justice of the Peace can hear lawsuits against individuals or companies for money damages, (up to a maximum of $10,000), suffered as a result of accidents, property damage, or breach of a contract or agreement. Justices of the Peace also hear "forcible detainer cases" - commonly referred to as "evictions". Civil cases are filed in the Justice Court in one of the following categories.

  1. Small Claims Case
  2. Debt Claim Case
  3. Repair and Remedy Case
  4. Eviction Case

Refer to the Civil Suits page for details on each category.

Show All Answers

1. What kind of civil cases can I file?
2. Do I need a lawyer?
3. What about criminal cases?
4. How are criminal cases filed?