Good morning Judge and Commissioners
The Denton County Courthouse-on-the-Square Art Committee, when they met last week for the second time, established a schedule for a listening tour to give the public an opportunity to provide feedback about what they envision for telling the complete story of the Confederate Memorial.
As you know, the previous Denton County Confederate Memorial Advisory Committee recommended providing specific context to the existing memorial that would tell the full story of race relations in Denton County from the time of slavery to the present time. The committee hopes that the public will share their ideas not only for the artistic elements but also in selecting words for telling the complete story.
- The first meeting is from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 4, at the Stephen E. Copeland Government Center at 1400 FM 424 in Cross Roads.
- The second meeting will be from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 12, at the Lewisville – Precinct 3 Government Center at 400 N. Valley Parkway in Lewisville.
- The third meeting is set from 7:15 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 18, at the MLK Jr. Recreation Center at 1300 Wilson St. in Denton.
- The final meeting will be from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 2, at the Southwest Courthouse at 6400 Canyon Falls Drive in Flower Mound.
- The public is always welcome to submit suggestions to email@example.com. The committee reviews suggestions from the public.
We will let the public know about these meetings through local and area newspapers including the North Texas Daily at UNT, the League of United Latin American Citizens, the Denton Black Chamber of Commerce as well as Denton and area chambers, the ministerial alliance and area service organizations. We will also have paid Facebook posts targeted to areas around each meeting.
Public input is a critical part of this process. Denton County as well as the committee would like to invite residents to participate and have their voices heard.
Dawn Cobb, Director of Community Relations, Denton County