Denton County Public Health (DCPH) announced five Denton County community members died as a result of COVID-19, bringing the total to 233 deaths due to COVID-19 in Denton County. Today’s reported COVID-19 deaths include:
- A male in his 70s who was a resident of Flower Mound
- A female over 80 who was a resident of Vista Ridge Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Lewisville
- A male in his 60s who was a resident of Vista Ridge Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Lewisville
- A male over 80 who was a resident of Flower Mound
- A male over 80 who was a resident of Vista Ridge Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Lewisville
“We ask for your thoughts and prayers for these five individuals’ families and friends,” said Denton County Judge Andy Eads. “As we move forward with vaccines, we must all continue to do our part in protecting ourselves and others with masks, distancing, and handwashing.”
DCPH also announced 399 new cases of COVID-19 in Denton County, of which 391 are active cases. This increases the cumulative, countywide total to 43,107 COVID-19 cases. DCPH also reported 326 newly recovered cases of COVID-19, increasing the countywide recovery total to 29,270.
DCPH is providing free drive-thru COVID-19 testing on Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at University of North Texas’ Discovery Park at 3940 N. Elm St in Denton. Eligible community members must reside in Denton County, pre-register by calling 940-349-2585, and have not previously tested positive for COVID-19.
To minimize spread of COVID-19, DCPH urges all community members to:
- Maintain at least six feet of physical distance in public settings and when around individuals outside of the household
- Wear masks or face coverings, which should cover both the nose and mouth, in public settings and when around individuals outside of the household
- Wash and/or sanitize hands frequently
- Stay home if you are symptomatic, have recently had close contact with a person with COVID-19, or have pending COVID-19 lab results
For additional COVID-19 data including active case information by municipality, hospital capacity, and ventilator utilization, visit the DCPH stats page. For information regarding DCPH’s upcoming testing centers, please visit the DCPH COVID-19 testing page. For additional COVID-19 health and safety recommendations, visit the COVID-19 information page.