Denton County Public Health (DCPH) announced three Denton County community members died as a result of COVID-19, bringing the total to 209 deaths due to COVID-19 in Denton County. Today’s reported COVID-19 deaths include:
- A male over 80 who was a resident of Carrollton
- A male over 80 who was a resident of Rambling Oaks Courtyard in Highland Village
- A male in his 70s who was a resident of Brinker Denton SCC in Denton
“Please keep these three individuals’ families and friends in your thoughts and prayers,” said Denton County Judge Andy Eads. “We ask for your continued vigilance on mask wearing, social distancing, and handwashing as today, we are also reporting the highest number of community members hospitalized for COVID-19 in Denton County.”
DCPH also announced 591 new cases of COVID-19 in Denton County, of which 527 are active cases. This increases the cumulative, countywide total to 38,684 COVID-19 cases. DCPH also reported 309 newly recovered cases of COVID-19, increasing the countywide recovery total to 25,693.
DCPH is providing free drive-thru COVID-19 testing on Tuesday, January 5, 2020 at University of North Texas Discovery Park at 3940 N. Elm St in Denton. Eligible community members must reside in Denton County, pre-register by calling 940-349-2585, and have not previously tested positive for COVID-19. Pre-registration is required with appointments starting at 8 AM.
To minimize spread of COVID-19, DCPH urges all community members to:
- Maintain at least six feet of physical distance in public settings and when around individuals outside of the household
- Wear masks or face coverings, which should cover both the nose and mouth, in public settings and when around individuals outside of the household
- Wash and/or sanitize hands frequently
- Stay home if you are symptomatic, have recently had close contact with a person with COVID-19, or have pending COVID-19 lab results
For additional COVID-19 data including active case information by municipality, hospital capacity, and ventilator utilization, visit the DCPH stats page. For information regarding DCPH’s upcoming testing centers, please visit the DCPH COVID-19 testing page. For additional COVID-19 health and safety recommendations, visit the COVID-19 information page.