Denton County Public Health (DCPH) announced eight Denton County community members died as a result of COVID-19, bringing the total to 206 deaths due to COVID-19 in Denton County. Today’s reported COVID-19 deaths include:
- A male in his 40s who was a resident of Carrollton
- A male in his 70s who was a resident of unincorporated northwest Denton County
- A male in his 50s who was a resident of unincorporated southeast Denton County
- A male over 80 who was a resident of Cedar Crest Senior Living in Lewisville
- A female over 80 who was a resident of Cedar Crest Senior Living in Lewisville
- A female in her 70s who was a resident of The Colony
- A female over 80 who was a resident of Lewisville
- A female in her 60s who was a resident of unincorporated northeast Denton County
“We are asking everyone to continue practicing the safety measures of wearing masks, social distancing, and washing hands, to slow the spread of COVID-19 within Denton County,” said Denton County Judge Andy Eads. “Please keep the families of these eight individuals in your thoughts and prayers.”
DCPH also announced 835 new cases of COVID-19 in Denton County, of which 747 are active cases. This increases the cumulative, countywide total to 38,094 COVID-19 cases. DCPH also reported 358 newly recovered cases of COVID-19, increasing the countywide recovery total to 25,386.
DCPH is providing free drive-thru COVID-19 testing on Tuesday, January 5, 2020 at University of North Texas Discovery Park at 3940 N. Elm St in Denton. Eligible community members must reside in Denton County, pre-register by calling 940-349-2585, and have not previously tested positive for COVID-19. Pre-registration is required with appointments starting at 8 AM.
To minimize spread of COVID-19, DCPH urges all community members to:
- Maintain at least six feet of physical distance in public settings and when around individuals outside of the household
- Wear masks or face coverings, which should cover both the nose and mouth, in public settings and when around individuals outside of the household
- Wash and/or sanitize hands frequently
- Stay home if you are symptomatic, have recently had close contact with a person with COVID-19, or have pending COVID-19 lab results
For additional COVID-19 data including active case information by municipality, hospital capacity, and ventilator utilization, visit the DCPH stats page. For information regarding DCPH’s upcoming testing centers, please visit the DCPH COVID-19 testing page. For additional COVID-19 health and safety recommendations, visit the COVID-19 information page.