Denton County Public Health (DCPH) announced two Denton County community members died as a result of COVID-19, bringing the total to 167 deaths due to COVID-19 in Denton County. Today’s reported COVID-19 deaths include:
- A female in her 60s who was a resident of Lewisville
- A male over 80 who was a resident of Highland Village
“We ask for your thoughts and prayers for these two individuals who have passed away from COVID-19,” said Denton County Judge Andy Eads. “The current surge of new cases continues to strain our healthcare system. We ask you to please follow health and safety recommendations to protect yourselves and others.”
DCPH also announced 863 new cases of COVID-19 in Denton County, of which 732 are active cases. This increases the cumulative, countywide total to 31,587 COVID-19 cases. DCPH also reported 542 newly recovered cases of COVID-19, increasing the countywide recovery total to 22,063.
DCPH is providing free drive-thru COVID-19 testing on Friday, December 18, 2020 at North Central Texas College’s Exchange Parking Garage at 319 E. Sycamore St in Denton. Eligible community members must reside in Denton County, pre-register by calling 940-349-2585, and have not previously tested positive for COVID-19. Pre-registration is required with appointments starting at 8 AM.
To minimize spread of COVID-19, DCPH urges all community members to:
- Maintain at least six feet of physical distance in public settings and when around individuals outside of the household
- Wear masks or face coverings, which should cover both the nose and mouth, in public settings and when around individuals outside of the household
- Wash and/or sanitize hands frequently
- Stay home if you are symptomatic, have recently had close contact with a person with COVID-19, or have pending COVID-19 lab results
For additional COVID-19 data including active case information by municipality, hospital capacity, and ventilator utilization, visit the DCPH stats page. For information regarding DCPH’s upcoming testing centers, please visit the DCPH COVID-19 testing page. For additional COVID-19 health and safety recommendations, visit the COVID-19 information page.