Denton County Public Health (DCPH) has announced two additional Denton County community members have died as a result of COVID-19, bringing the total to 107 deaths due to COVID-19 in Denton County. The deaths reported today include:
- A male in his 70s who was a resident of Denton
- A female over 80 who was a resident of Mayberry Gardens in Denton
“We ask for you to join us in thoughts and prayers for the families of these two community members who’ve passed from COVID-19,” said Denton County Judge Andy Eads. “Let’s remain Denton County strong by continuing to follow public health recommendations to fight COVID-19.”
DCPH also announced 92 new laboratory-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Denton County, of which 71 are active cases. This increases the cumulative, countywide total to 11,317 confirmed COVID-19 cases. DCPH also reported 108 newly recovered cases of COVID-19, increasing the countywide recovery total to 9,674.
DCPH is providing a free drive-thru COVID-19 testing center in Denton on Friday, September 18, 2020. Pre-registration is required and appointments are available starting at 8 AM. The testing center will be held at University of North Texas’ Discovery Park at 3940 N. Elm Street. Eligible community members are those who have had symptoms of COVID-19 within the past seven days, essential employees, individuals 60 years and older, as well as individuals who have had contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19. All community members must call to pre-register for testing at 940-349-2585.
To minimize spread of COVID-19, DCPH asks all community members to continue to:
- Maintain at least six feet of physical distance in public settings and when around individuals outside of the household
- Wear masks or face coverings, which should cover both the nose and mouth, in public settings and when around individuals outside of the household
- Wash and/or sanitize hands frequently
- Stay home if you are symptomatic, have recently had close contact with a person with COVID-19, or have pending COVID-19 lab results
For additional COVID-19 data including active case information by municipality, hospital capacity, and ventilator utilization, visit the DCPH stats page. For information regarding DCPH’s upcoming testing centers, please visit the DCPH COVID-19 testing page. For additional COVID-19 health and safety recommendations, visit the COVID-19 information page.