Denton County Public Health (DCPH) is reporting one positive West Nile Virus (WNV) mosquito trap in unincorporated Denton County. The positive mosquito trap is located in the unincorporated area at Northwest Regional Airport.
DCPH will conduct truck-based ground spraying in the areas near the positive WNV mosquito traps beginning Wednesday, October 19, 2022. The ground spraying schedule is as follows, weather permitting:
- Wednesday, October 26, 2022, between the hours of 9 PM and 5 AM
- Thursday, October 27, 2022, between the hours of 9 PM and 5 AM
- Friday, October 28, 2022, between the hours of 9 PM and 5 AM
DCPH advises residents to take the following steps to minimize risk of contracting WNV:
- Drain standing water in your yard and neighborhood to minimize mosquito breeding sites such as bird baths, flowerpots, and clogged rain gutters. Consider the use of BTI briquettes, often called mosquito dunks, in standing water that cannot be eliminated.
- Dress in long sleeves and pants when you are outside and spray thin clothing with repellent.
- Defend yourself by using EPA-registered repellent. Check for ingredients like DEET, Picaridin, or Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus.
Detailed maps of spray areas are located on the DCPH West Nile Virus website at DentonCounty.gov/WNV, along with additional information including mosquito maps, latest news, and facts about WNV. Residents in the affected area are being informed via emergency alerts and signage.