Manufactured Housing Information

Currently, Denton County has 14,626 mobile homes registered with the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA). TDHCA maintains the official state records (called Statements of Ownership and Location (SOL)) regarding the ownership, location, lien status, and status as real property or personal property.

In the event that you sell or transfer ownership of a home, the SOL must be updated. It also must be updated if the home is moved. Please visit the TDHCA website for information on applying for a Statement of Ownership and Location.

Filing a Statement of Ownership & Location

When filing for a statement of ownership and location on a manufactured home, a statement from the tax assessor-collector for the county that the home is located in on January 1st must also be filed with TDHCA. The statement from the tax assessor-collector must indicate that there are no personal property taxes due on the manufactured home that may have accrued on each January 1st that falls within the 18 months before the date of the sale.

If you have any questions that we could assist with, please contact the Property Tax office by email.

Steps to Obtain the Statement from the Tax Assessor / Collector

  1. Fill out a request form (PDF) and return to our office.
  2. Research will be done by our office and a representative will contact you regarding any current or delinquent taxes that may apply. Please allow 3 to 5 business days for this process.
    • Cash, check, money orders or cashiers checks are acceptable
    • If paying by check, the delinquent year and current year taxes must be on two separate checks.

Once payment is received, the statement can be faxed or mailed to the number or address provided on the request form.

Manufactured Housing Tax Liens

Before you buy a used manufactured home or submit an application to transfer ownership, please check TDHCA records for current ownership information, mortgage liens, and tax liens. You may do so by searching the TDHCA database. Be prepared to provide the complete serial number and/or Housing and Urban Development (HUD) label or Texas Seal number for the manufactured home.