Applying for Development Permits

Apply for the appropriate permit for your situation on Civic Access.

A development permit is required for any improvement to a property. Apply for the appropriate permit for your situation on Civic Access.

You also must obtain a permit for, but not limited to additions to existing houses, swimming pools, and Cell towers. Or any excavation in a flood zone, such as:

  • Bridges
  • Culverts
  • Dams
  • Digging
  • Dredging
  • Filling
  • Maintenance of creeks
  • Mining
  • Ponds

Requirements to Secure a Permit

Following are the basic requirements to secure a permit:

  • Prior to construction each lot owner submits an application for a development permit for each structure to be built or placed on lot.
  • If the proposed structure complies with all applicable County Regulations a development permit will be issued, along with copies of floodplain maps, abstract maps and plat maps.
  • If the structure is to be located in a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) designated Special Flood Hazard Area the applicant must submit a post construction finished floor elevation certification. This certification must be made by a Texas Registered Professional Surveyor, Engineer or Architect. This must confirm that the finished floor of the actual construction is at or above the elevation established in the Elevation Certificate.
  • The lot owner may then submit an application to construct a private sewage facility with all the information required in the Rules and Regulations covering private sewage facilities. You will also be required to submit a copy of the development permit and application, floodplain map, abstract or plat map. And, if required, a elevation certificate and finished floor certification.
  • Specifications will be given for construction of the private sewage facility and the permit will be issued to the lot owner. When construction is substantially completed the lot owner requests a County inspection of the facilities.
  • Once construction is satisfactory, inspection sheet and license to operate is issued to the owner.


The owner of the property, or his authorized agent must apply for the Development Permit at the Denton County Development Services Department.

You must fill out an Application for Development Permit with the name and address of owner. And add the property description, such as Abstract, Tract number and amount of acreage or Subdivision name, lot and block. You must also attach a site plan showing proposed and existing improvements and their distance to at least two property lines as well as any other required documentation. You must also show any existing septic systems.

Please contact Denton County Development Services Department for more information.