Development Services

Important Notice - Intake Procedure Changes

Beginning January 1, 2021, Denton County Development Services will implement a new procedure for the intake of development and culvert permits.

  1. Permits may be submitted in person to the Morse Street Facility, via mail, or via email to No permit fees are due at time of submittal.  
  2. The permit application packet will be reviewed for completeness. Incomplete submittals (i.e. missing required documents, missing information on the application, illegible writing on the application) will be rejected and you will be required to resubmit a complete package. All checks attached to an incomplete submittal will be destroyed and any payment submitted online associated with an incomplete submittal will be voided.  

After the permit package has been deemed administratively complete, you will be contacted via email with the fee(s) associated with your application. This email will contain a tracking number that must be placed on all checks, or in the Receipt field on the Certified Payments portal if paying with a credit card. Failure to include this tracking number will result in your check being destroyed or online payment being voided. Once payment is received your permit will be placed in the queue for processing.

What permits may be required for development in Denton County?

  • Development permit - Any development in unincorporated Denton County requires a Development Permit from the Development Services Department.  Development is defined as any man-made change in improved and unimproved real estate, including, but not limited to, buildings or other structures, mining, dredging, filling, grading, paving, excavation, or drilling operations or storage of equipment or materials will require a Development Permit.  Fences and fence-type walls located within the floodplain are included with this definition.  
  • Fire marshal permit – Any commercial development in Denton County will require a Construction Permit.  You may contact the Denton County Fire Marshal’s office at 940-349-2840 for more information.
  • Culvert permit – Any new drive on a County maintained road, or new development with an existing drive, will require a Culvert Permit. 
  • Septic Permit – An On-Site Sewage Facility (OSSF) permit, or septic permit, may be required.  You may contact Denton County Public Health – Environmental Health at 940-349-2920 for more information

If you have any questions regarding permitting in unincorporated Denton County please contact Development Services at 940-349-2990 or .  

The Development Services Department is responsible for the management of various land-use programs within the unincorporated areas of Denton County. This includes:

  • The federally mandated National Flood Insurance Program including:
    • Permitting
    • Program compliance
    • Water quality and quantity
    • The Denton County Subdivision Rules and Regulations and developers’ compliance with County regulations
    • The Lake Ray Roberts Land Use Ordinance enforcement and its zoning cases


  1. Mail your payment attached to the permit to ATTN: Development Services at 3900 Morse Street, 2nd floor, Denton, TX 76208
  2. Bring your payment attached to the permit to 3900 Morse Street, 2nd floor, Denton, TX 76208 (Call 940-349-2990 when you arrive - we're on the Emergency Services Entrance side of the building.)

As soon as your payment is received, your submittal package will be forwarded to a planner for review. If you have any questions, please call us at 940-349-2990 or email

Development Permit Questions

Please email all Development Permit questions or concerns to Development Permits.