Marriage licenses are available Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm at all six County Clerk locations.
Both applicants must be present to receive the license (with few statutory exceptions). In the State of Texas, a marriage license is valid for 90 days from the date issued. After issuance there is a 72-hour waiting period until the license becomes valid. The marriage license may be used anywhere in the State of Texas.
To apply for the marriage license each applicant shall submit:
- Proof of identity and age (Driver’s License, State Identification card, or other document issued by this state or another state, United States or a foreign country, or certified copy of applicants birth certificate)
- Verbalize the oath printed on the application and sign the application before the county clerk.
- If one applicant cannot appear personally, see information on the absent applicant procedures (PDF)
- The fee for a marriage license is $82.
Couples taking the State-Approved Marriage Class
- Procedures for applying for a marriage license remain the same.
- Course certificate must be able to be verified through the State of Texas online by the Clerk’s office.
- 72-hour waiting period is automatically waived.
- Marriage license fee is $22. Course certificate must be provided to clerk in order to receive this discounted license fee.
- For more information visit the Twogether in Texas website
Electronic Marriage License Application
Submit your marriage license application online! Both applicants must be able to visit the County Clerk’s office in person within 3 days of submitting your application in order to obtain your marriage license. After 3 days the application will be removed from our queue and you will need to complete your application again. Applications are also available to complete when you visit one of our locations. Electronic submittal of your application is not required.
Please note: The 72-hour waiting period goes into effect after your marriage license is issued by the clerk. The 72-hour waiting period is not based on the date in which your electronic application is submitted.